Author + information
- Writing Committee,
- Patrick T. O'Gara, MD, MACC, Chair,
- Paul A. Grayburn, MD, FACC, Vice-Chair,
- Vinay Badhwar, MD, FACC, Vice-Chair,
- Luis C. Afonso, MBBS, FACC,
- John D. Carroll, MD, FACC,
- Sammy Elmariah, MD, FACC,
- Aaron P. Kithcart, MD,
- Rick A. Nishimura, MD, MACC,
- Thomas J. Ryan, MD, FACC,
- Allan Schwartz, MD, FACC and
- Lynne Warner Stevenson, MD, FACC
Mitral regurgitation (MR) is a complex valve lesion that can pose significant management challenges for the cardiovascular clinician. This Expert Consensus Document emphasizes that recognition of MR should prompt an assessment of its etiology, mechanism, and severity, as well as indications for treatment. A structured approach to evaluation based on clinical findings, precise echocardiographic imaging, and when necessary, adjunctive testing, can help clarify decision making. Treatment goals include timely intervention by an experienced heart team to prevent left ventricular dysfunction, heart failure, reduced quality of life, and premature death.
- Expert Consensus Decision Pathway
- mitral regurgitation
- mitral valve
- valve repair
- valve surgery
This document was approved by the American College of Cardiology Clinical Policy Approval Committee in July 2017.
The American College of Cardiology requests that this document be cited as follows: O’Gara PT, Grayburn PA, Badhwar V, Afonso LC, Carroll JD, Elmariah S, Kithcart AP, Nishimura RA, Ryan TJ, Schwartz A, Stevenson LW. 2017 ACC expert consensus decision pathway on the management of mitral regurgitation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017;70:XXX–XX.
Copies: This document is available on the World Wide Web site of the American College of Cardiology (www.acc.org). For copies of this document, please contact Elsevier Inc. Reprint Department, fax (212) 633-3820, e-mail .
Permissions: Multiple copies, modification, alteration, enhancement, and/or distribution of this document are not permitted without the express permission of the American College of Cardiology. Please contact Elsevier’s permission department at.
- Task Force on Expert Consensus Decision Pathways
- Table of Contents
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Methods
- 3 Assumptions and Definitions
- 4 Central Illustration
- 5 Description and Rationale
- 6 Evaluation of the Patient
- 7 Treatment of Chronic MR
- 8 Discussion and Intended Use of Pathway
- ACC President and Staff
- Appendix 1 Author Relationships With Industry and Other Entities (Relevant)—2017 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on the Management of Mitral Regurgitation
- Appendix 2 Peer Reviewer Information—2017 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on the Management of Mitral Regurgitation
- Appendix 3 Abbreviations